3M India Limited
3M India Ltd, the Indian Subsidiary of 3M Corporation established by the managing director Mr. Ajay Nanavati in 1983. Subsequently, the name of the company was changed to Birla 3M Pvt Ltd in February 1988. The company formed with the association of Minnesota Mining, Manufacturing Company (3M) of USA and Scimitar investment and Trading Co.Pvt.Ltd.
3M has been a reliable partner in India for the past 24 years in solving problems effectively with Indian customers. At first, 3M is a science-based company serving customers and communities with its innovative products and services. The main motive of the business is making our customer’s life easier and better.
- Turnover of Rs 1,410.36 crores for 12 months ended March 31st, 2012 with profits of Rs 63.7 crores.
- Plants in Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Pondicherry, and Pune
- Branch offices are at Gurgaon, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, and Pune
- R & D centers at Bengaluru and Gurgaon.
- Over 2000+ employees
- Over 8000 products sold in India
- 17 patent fields in 2012
- Innovations for India include the consumer range of floor cleaning products, infection prevention products for hospitals, tamper-evident labels, traffic & road safety products, automotive fillers, and underbody coatings, protective filler coatings for outdoor applications.
3M Electro & Communication India Pvt Ltd is a subsidiary of 3M Corporation. Altogether these two companies market over 7,000 products in India with leading positions in Health care, Industrial, Retail, Construction, Transportation, Energy, Utilities, Mining, General office, and Home.
Milestones of 3M India Ltd:
- 3M and Birlas become Partners
2) 1988 November
- Foundation laid for Manufacturing Facility at Electronics City, Bangalore
- Feb – Inauguration of Customer Tech Center, Bangalore, by Allen F. Jacobson, CEO, 3M, St.Paul
- Apr – Production of UY connectors
- Jun – First Shipment of MS 2 Connectors
- Jul – Commencement of Scotch–Brit Conversion
- Sep – First Shipment of first Automotive Striping
- Oct – Installation of Tape Coater
- Jan – Production of Box Sealing Tape Manufacturing of first batch of Light Water
- Oct – First Shareholder’s Meeting
- Jul – Self–Certification Approval for Telecom Connectors, 3M increases equity holding to 51% and Warehousing Operation in Delhi.
- Nov – Warehousing Operations at Mumbai
- Jan – Opening of Chennai Customer Sales Center
- Apr – Opening of Calcutta Customer Sales Center
- Dec – Opening of Bangalore Customer Sales Center
- Feb – AS–400 Installed– Email and IFS2 Implemented
- Apr – ISO–9002 Certification
- Nov – New Warehouse, Bangalore
- Feb – Inauguration of Graphics Production Center – New Warehouse, Mumbai
- Mar – Printed Post-it Notes
- Dec – Opening of Second Customer Sales Center in Bangalore
- Jan – Industrial land acquisition at Ranjangoon, Pune
- May – Mumbai Customer Sales Center Expansion
- Jul – Chennai Warehouse
- Jan – Expansion of Bangalore Customer Sales Center–1
- Apr – 3M Increases equity holding to 76%
- Jul – Opening of new Delhi Customer Sales Center with expanded facilities
- Aug – Inauguration of Innovation Center, Electronics City, Bangalore
- Jun – Acquisition of Auto Striping India Pvt. Ltd.
- Jul – Inauguration of Centralized Corporate Office
- Dec – Company name changed to 3M India Limited from Birla 3M Limited.
- Aug – Inauguration of Manufacturing Facility for Corrosion Protection Products in Ahmadabad
- Dec – Acquisition of Mahindra Engineering & Chemical Products Limited.
- Apr – Moved to a brand new Corporate Office at UB City in Bangalore
- Sep – Expansion of our Bangalore & Ahmedabad Plants
- Oct – Acquisition of Macroworx Media Pvt Ltd
- Jun – 3M completes 20 years of operation in India
- Oct – 3M India’s 5th Manufacturing facility at Ranjangaon begins commercial operations
- Jul – Phase 2 of 3M India’s Corrosion Protection Manufacturing Facility at Ahmedabad inaugurated.
- 3M India made its first foray into the retail space in India with the launch of the 3M Car Care Center initiative.
- Filed 13 patents & launched over 23 new product innovations for the India market.
- 3M India’s biggest Distribution Center inaugurated at Electronics City, Bangalore to meet 2015 growth needs.
- Expanded regional presence with 4 branch offices in Kolkata, Chennai, Pune & Gurgaon respectively.
- Inaugurated two state–of–the–art Innovation Centers at Bangalore and Gurgaon to focus on local product innovations. Filed 14 patents.
- Ranked 4th in the prestigious Indian Council of Market Research ( ICMR) list of ‘Most Innovative Brands’ in India.
- 3M Wins 2012 Manufacturing Leadership 100 Award for Innovative Enterprise
- 3M’s Renewable Energy Division and Gossamer Space Frames unveiled the world’s largest aperture trough using 3M™ Solar Mirror Film 1100 for concentrated solar power.
- In May 2014 3M reached an innovation milestone with the issuance of 52 patents, moving the company’s total number of patents past the 100,000 mark.